Thursday, October 22, 2009
Man Overboard!
Showing up to work thinking its going to be a normal day is quite common. I did the same thing showing up at the beach when I worked over the summer as a lifeguard for Long Beach. I opened the prospect tower, got the chair out, got the rescue board out, and made sure my skin was well protected. Tide was very rough that day, and it was knocking people over. One family wasn't pleased with me because I didn't check on them after the tide knocked over their little boy. So in order to get that frustrating thought out of my head, I went on foot patrol to just clear my mind. As I walked down the beach, keeping a close eye on the water, I noticed a boat floating extremely close to the swim area from a distance. So I start making my way towards the boat, and I started to wave them out. The boat had 2 PWC's in the back, so it looked as if they were trying to launch their craft in my area. I didn't want that to happen, so I continued to wave them out trying to get them to turn around and make their way out of the swim area. Then I noticed one of them started to wave at me like every- things okay. That wasn't the idea; next thing I know, One of the passengers jumped off the boat into the water and started to swim for shore. I had no choice now but to go in the water after him. By the time I got to him, he complained to me that he's having an allergic reaction. His face and eyes looked really swollen. I immediately took him to my tower and started my assessment and took care of the man that was short of breath. After waiting a few minuets, the lifeguard truck responded to my tower with all the equipment, and took control of the situation. As soon as they took control, my area sergeant omar told me "Good job Lyons, go ahead and watch the water we got it from here". Paramedics showed up and then took the man to the hospital.- This was the first diffrence i made on the job
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment